Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Catcher in the Rye

I forgot something in that last post. And instead of editing it in, I'm giving it its own...I'm about 1/2 way through The Catcher in the Rye and I'm not really getting what all the fuss is about. Maybe it just isn't my thing. Part of my dislike is that I don't appreciate all of the swearing and blaspheming, even though I can understand how using that language tells you about the character and informs the atmosphere of the story.

Anyway, one of my friends mentioned that she had compiled a list of books (I believe it was 100) to read. (I think there was a caveat here, like 100 books to read in the next year, or some such thing, but I don't remember...) She said just compiling the list was challenging and fun; she tried to include books that she was "supposed to have read" in school and classics and popular new novels and nonfiction (I think on that last one.) Oh, and I realize that made it sound like she didn't read what she was supposed to in school, but I think she actually meant books that her schools didn't read that other people's had them read. Anyway, the point of this second paragraph is that The Catcher in the Rye would have been on that list because I feel like this coming of age story would best be read while actually coming of age instead of after you realize how stupid you used to be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment