Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fault x 2

Well, I inadvertently fell off the blogging (train, bandwagon, rail?) for awhile there. No one's fault but my own (I don't even have a good excuse.) Best just to dive back in, right? Just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Great book. I have read a few other John Green books after the recommendation of a friend, who also suggested I check out his and his brother's vlog...and I finally did and wished I had earlier. Funny stuff. Back to the book...their are many things to take away in this book, but the thing that stands out most clearly for me is the treatment of the parents. So many children's and YA books find a way to kill off, vilify, or ignore the parents, and this one doesn't. And I found that refreshing. Biggest thought provoker: (spoiler here) this book is about childhood cancer, so a lot of the book discusses the meaning of life and facing death. And I found this discussion enlightening and disheartening. I have a very firm Christian belief about life after death, and I found it fascinating to be in the mind of people who don't who are having such honest discussions about it. But sad, too.

Side note: I'm obsessed with names and how people and things are named. And I watched one the vlogs where John Green answered questions about this book...and discussed the main character's name. The answer made my heart really happy. Well chosen, sir, well chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment