Monday, January 25, 2010

Thankful for Women's Rights

Went to Bible study tonight, at which one of my friends offered up her thanks for women's rights being what they are for our lifetimes. (Amen to that.) This immediately made me think of what I'm reading right now: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. A professor of mine recommended it, and so far I'm really enjoying it. It's crazy and intriguing...and totally different from the books I've been reading, which were...
Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot--enjoyable but took a little bit to get into it; I think Cabot overdoes the unique features for her main character by restating them too often.
Maisie Dobbs (various): The names of the individual books aren't coming to me, but this series by Jacqueline Winspeare has a very unique tone and a strong sense of place and time.
Splitting Harriet and Perfecting Kate by Tamara Leigh: these are well-written Christian chic lit with a wonderful look at how women of faith live it every day.
I also read Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker about a woman of approximately my age who fights breast cancer and finds herself. I enjoyed it (and found out a few things I didn't know) but sometimes it was too obvious what was going to happen down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment